Saturday, May 3, 2014

The Fun of Picking Your Own

When I was a child some of my best memories were going to the apple farm to buy apples.  It was even better when it was a pick your own place.  So when I had my own kids I decided to take advantage of the wide range of pick your own places here in the Tallahassee area.  Last month I was really excited to see that Orchard Pond Organics was hosting a pick your own strawberry event at their farm.  We finally made it out there this first weekend in may.
 
Our eight year old had a great time and asked me why these strawberries had white flowers (we had visited a local school garden for Spiral Scouts where they had pink flowers last week).  That gave me a chance to talk about the different varieties of strawberries and how you want different ones for cross pollination and a better crop.  We have plans to plant strawberries in our own garden when the next season comes around.
 

Our three year old was able to follow directions with proper guidance and just pick the ripe berries.
 
Now what are we going to do with four pounds of strawberries? 
Time to pull out the jam recipe!
 
Orchard pond organics also had their farm stand open so we bought some kale, potatoes, carrots and beef as well.  We are planning a tasty local meal for tonight!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment