Sunday, February 16, 2014

Grow Your Own

My greatest goal is to be able to grow more of my own food.  Unfortunately I did not inherit my grandma Anna's green thumb.  But I keep on trying.  We recently had removed some trees (either dead, ill, or endangering structures) which opened up some sun in our backyard.  So I thought I would give a raised garden bed another try.

My eight year old was explaining worms to my not yet three year old.
 
Worms!  Everyone loves worms!
 
And everyone loves the chance to play in the dirt.
 
Planting peas.  We also planted some carrots.

I bought some blueberries from Tallahassee Native Nurseries.  I also really like to get down to Just Fruits and Exotics when I can, and they have great information on their site.  But I didn't have time to drive to Medart this weekend.

Once again putting the kids to work.  My husband helped too.  We had removed some azaleas in this location (they like acidic soil just like blueberries) because we wanted to have pretty flowers and food here.


Blueberries installed.  I am going to work hard to keep them watered (although one watering emptied our rain barrel) and fertilized with holly-tone on schedule.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment