Sunday, November 4, 2012

Date Night Means Eating Local

Several months ago my husband picked up a groupon for a restaurant called Liam's in Thomasville, Georgia that is known for utilizing local food sources.  He saw that they also served craft beer so it was a win win for both of us.  We rarely get date nights and when we do it is fun to support locally owned restaurants that use local food sources (like when we went to Miccosukee Root Cellar for Valentine's Day).

Our wedding anniversary is next week so we decided to use the groupon.  We made reservations, got a babysitter, and headed off to Thomasville forty minutes to the north of us.  To be honest with you I was wondering what we were going to do afterwards in Thomasville for our date night, we had the babysitter until 10 pm.

 
Liam's was charming and the food was incredible.  I started with a salad of
fresh greens.  We were both in the mood for beef so we had a hangar steak that was served with a hash of wild mushrooms and butternut squash.  I mentioned to the waitress that I was there for local ingredients.    

After we left Liam's we went down the street to Grassroots Coffee for some lattes.  Sure, you can't grow coffee locally (at least not any you might want to drink, there is a wild coffee further south in Florida) but this place roasts all the beans in the store.  It reminds me of the coffee shop that I worked at in college with a nice ambiance. 

 
I also grabbed some beans for brewing coffee at home. 
 
  
Now all this time I was logging into facebook and updating where we were going on our date.  I know, this isn't very romantic and it is a sign of a times of how we are tied to the internet.  However, I also like to let my friends know about these cool places so that they can enjoy them too.  Luckily for me though, one of my friends who lives in Thomasville posted a comment that we should go to Moonspin Pizza and have a chocolate peanut butter cookie for dessert.  So we did, and I am so glad that we did.  Not only was the cookie tasty, we also paired it with a pecan beer from Mississippi and it was a great combo.  We also learned more about Moonspin Pizza that uses local ingredients and makes everything from scratch wherever they can.  We decided to come back to have some of their pizza one day. 
 
They also had this quote up that I enjoyed:


"We eat to live But there is more to it than that.  Food prepared with mindfulness and intent, and eaten with thought and thanksgiving, satisfies hungers that are deeper than those of the body" - peace meals

Then it was time to go home to relieve the babysitter.  Thomasville has so much to offer it really made for a wonderful date night.

2 comments:

  1. So glad y'all had a wonderful time! Those are all some of my favorite places. Glad you liked the cookie! Moon spin does have great pizza - I especially like the options for whole wheat crust, pesto sauce, and "non-traditional" toppings. You should also add Jonah's to your bucket list - no craft beer (or any other beer) there, but the food is incredible. And if you didn't sit outside in the courtyard between Liam's and Jonah's, it's a very lovely atmosphere. Thomasville, especially downtown, is growing on me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did walk past Jonah's a few times and thought it looked good too!

      Delete