Monday, November 19, 2012

Adventures in Beekeeping

So last year I decided I wanted to try beekeeping.  I took an eight week course from the Leon County Extension office.  In that course I learned that we have a local beekeeping association.

I started attending the monthly meetings of the Apalachee Beekeeping Association.  The people there are a wealth of knowledge about beekeeping.  Each meeting has an educational presentation and during the longer days of the summer they even hold open hive demonstrations before the meeting.  These have been so helpful in learning how to take care of my hive.  And trust me, there is a lot of information to know. 

Last February I took a shortcourse on beekeeping from the ABA.  They hold it every year and it fills up at 100 registrants so if you are interested be sure to get your spot early.  It costs $50 to register (and includes a year long membership to ABA) and ABA members can attend for $35.  I have been thinking about sending my husband and daughter this year (persons in your household under the age of 14 can join an adult for only $25).  Find out more about it with this flyer:  Apalachee Beekeepers Association Shortcourse

This spring we started keeping a hive out in our backyard.  It has become a family project.

My husband is showing our daughter how to use the smoker


Here they are looking for the queen and checking the health of the hive

I don't know how long my beekeeping hobby will last or how much honey will will get from it (none yet, many people often are not able to harvest honey in the first year of their hive).  But one thing I can tell you is that because of all the beekeepers in this area there are many options for sources of local honey here in Tallahassee.

I often buy honey from the Full Moon Apiary .  We purchase beekeeping equipment from them as well, they have been very helpful.  They are often found at the downtown market and you can buy their products at Tupelo's Bakery and Cafe up in Monticello.  They even hold a monthly breakfast with the beekeeper to answer all your questions about your hive.

Beekeeping isn't for everyone, but you can't beat the sweetness of real local honey.

No comments:

Post a Comment