Sunday, October 21, 2012

Fall Traditions

When I was a child growing up in Minnesota we went to an apple orchard every fall.  Sometimes we even went to a pick-your-own apple orchard.  I wanted to create some fall traditions with my children here in North Florida.  I have not found any apple orchards here, as this is not the right climate for apples (although a few varieties grow here, as I learned on the Just Fruits and Exotics website).

Last year we discovered Rocky Comfort Farms on the New Leaf Market Farm Tour.  But more on the Farm Tour later....

At Rocky Comfort Farms they have a pumpkin patch where you can ideally find your locally grown fall pumpkin (this year happened to be a bad year and they had to ship them in).  You can also take some cute fall pictures of your kids, provided they actually cooperate.

 
They also have a hay ride to tour the farm where they raise angus beef cattle.
 
They also have peafowl there which was very exciting for my daughter who wants to be a peacock for Halloween.
 
They also have other various fall fun activities for kids including a giant hay slide, face painting, a bouncy house and a millet maze and a corn bin (basically a big box with dried corn kernels in it, I don't know why but kids like it).
 
They are open on the weekends in October for a small entrance fee.
 
They sometimes sell their own honey (since pumpkins are dependent upon bees for pollination) and other products.  It isn't quite the apple orchard I miss from my childhood but it is a nice way to support a local farm while giving my own kids some childhood memories.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment